What do you think of this video?

by Greg Krehbiel on 26 January 2014

If you have 22 minutes or so, give this video a watch and leave your impression in the comment area.

I just finished reading Haidt’s book, so I wasted some time on Youtube watching various discussions about his work. (This one also evoked a strong reaction from me, but it’s a little longer and discusses other issues not directly related to Haidt’s work.)

-- 2014-01-26  »  Greg Krehbiel

1. Ken Crawford
    26 January 2014 @ 9:05 pm

Boy that video made me want to put my fist through the monitor. Talk about being blind to your own “side’s” blind spots and their refusal to consider ideas (“climate denialists”, that evolution does not well describe the “large leaps” in biology, etc.). Oh yes, those enlightened liberals who are pro-science (and not differentiating the difference between actual science and the political mis-use of science)… Phsh, whatever.

Outside of Haidt, no one in that group was willing to consider THEY were wrong about anything, but were all worked up that the other side isn’t willing to do the same. “How can we get them to see we’re right?”

And unfortunately, Haidt didn’t know how to speak in soundbites well enough to command the attention of the group.

26 January 2014 @ 11:03 pm

wow. i’m not sure that ken and i watched the same video.

but, in congruity with the acerbic tone of the conservative posts in here lately, his response doesn’t seem altogether surprising. i found it to be a rather candid discussion, that identified some solid and mutually self-deprecating perspectives.

27 January 2014 @ 7:51 am

I enjoyed the video. I do not believe it offered multiple perspectives. I believe it offered five flavors of the same perspective.

4. Robin R.
    27 January 2014 @ 8:12 am

Depressing video. I feel like the last man standing in defense of human reason as an individual’s greatest asset in a world full of deep irrationality.

27 January 2014 @ 8:52 am

I found a few things very interesting in that video.

I thought the host both off-putting and kinda compelling. I didn’t like his smug partisanship, but found him somewhat amusing and interesting in his hyperactivity and obvious intelligence. (He’s some sort of Rachel Maddow protege, isn’t he?)

Mooney has always struck me as a partisan buffoon, but at least he seems like a pleasant buffoon. I mean … he smiles, anyway. His argument that rejection of science is a Republican / conservative characteristic is simply wrong, as Haidt tried to point out (and explains even better in other videos, BTW). Right now in the United States, conservatives seem out of sync with science more than liberals do, but it all depends on what the issues are.

You have to “follow the sacredness.” When science runs up against liberal sacred cows, they hate science just as quickly. Just ask Larry Summers.

The liberal story that their opinions are based on facts and logic while conservative opinions are based on faith and hate is wrong, of course, but it’s so incredibly amusing to watch when liberals are confronted with contrary evidence and try to dance around it.

Haidt seemed like he should have said more, and he seemed to tone down his comments and criticisms. Of course he’s trying to sell books, so he can’t go around making enemies of talk-show hosts or being the guy nobody wants on their program.

The two things that really jumped out at me were the black guy’s experience with the evolutionists, and the related discussion about the host’s refusal to have any global warming skeptics on his show. Both those issues show how dogmatism can ruin an otherwise intellectual and scientific pursuit of truth.

(The woman’s inability to understand that was kinda funny.)

A quick comment on the other video I linked. It’s hard not to conclude that the organizers scoured the earth, looking for arrogant jerks.

6. Ken Crawford
    27 January 2014 @ 8:53 am

RootCzar, I’m a political “centrist”, if by “centrist” one means I can’t stand either of the parties and have lots of liberal leaning points (anti-death penalty, anti-war, pro-business regulation, etc.) and lots of conservative leaning points (pro-life, anti-carbon credits, anti-gay marriage, and thinks Obamacare stinks). So I take exception to my analysis being conservatively biased/motivated.

Here’s my challenge to you, give me a single quote/excerpt/paraphrase (with approximate time in video so we’re all talking about the same thing) from anyone in that video except Haidt where they entertain the possibility they’re incorrect about anything.

I doubt you can find it.

27 January 2014 @ 9:35 am

It is hard to find any self-reflection from the liberals in this video, but here are two examples.

At around 5:16 John McWhorter agrees with Haidt that the left also denies science, citing the Larry Summers situation.

At 6:46 Mooney agrees that there are situations where you can get the left to be “more biased than the right.”

BTW, in re-watching the video I think maybe Mooney needed to get more opportunity to speak.

27 January 2014 @ 9:37 am

@Ken: one fellow mentioned that he had questions about jumps in evolution. Maybe he didn’t go so far as to admit he was wrong.

27 January 2014 @ 9:43 am

Yeah, that was McWhorter.

And in case it matters, the examples I give are where people admit that “the left” may be wrong, not that they may be wrong. :-)

27 January 2014 @ 12:31 pm

And if I’m remembering rightly, McWhorter doesn’t style himself a man of the left, but more of a moderate liberal.