“I feel like a woman” reprise

by Greg Krehbiel on 31 January 2014

Back in 2009, Pigweed posted Man, I Feel Like a Woman — about the awkward problem of coming up with appropriate facilities for people who aren’t sure if they should go in the men’s or the women’s room.

Now … Maine’s highest court: Transgender student’s rights were violated — Nicole Maines’ school was wrong to require the fifth-grader to use a unisex bathroom, justices rule in a historic gender-identity decision that could be a model for other states.

So … how will this work? How will the cops know if the guy in the ladies’ room is just a guy in the ladies’ room or if he’s a transexual? Will people have to register as an official transexual? Will the cops be required to take the guy’s word for it?

-- 2014-01-31  »  Greg Krehbiel

1. Ken Crawford
    31 January 2014 @ 10:53 am

I really think this is an issue where the liberals could really lose the American public. For the longest time, the “T” in LGBT has managed to quietly ride the coat-tails of the gay movement and since the American people are very sympathetic to a “let me live my life the way I want” argument, they’ve been very successful. But there’s eventually a point where that argument runs up against some practical reality that affects all of us. Whether it’s giving up civil liberties because of terrorists or not being able to buy incandescent light bulbs for the environment, American’s accept a limit to our libertarian instincts.

And a man going into a women’s bathroom is that limit.

If they’re not careful, if they over push their favorable position, they could see some meaningful policy reversions in other related areas because they over-play their hand.

31 January 2014 @ 10:56 am

I keep wondering which straw is going to break the camel’s back — or whether people will just keep going along with it because, after all, they have the internet and cable TV.

The light bulb thing really annoys me. It’s an anger trigger for me. Every time I buy a light bulb I get furious with our meddling government.

3. Pigweed Pigweed
    31 January 2014 @ 12:41 pm

I was listening to a talk show on the issue and apparently there is a procedure of counseling (at tax-payer expense I imagine) and interviews with the parents. Then I guess you get some king of LGBT bathroom pass.

Apparently Nicole’s rights to feel comfortable when he/she pees outweighs the privacy rights of the rest of the girls in the school.
    A coworker asked me rather succinctly (if crudely) why is there is such a fuss about where you put your d*ck? I pointed out that beside that we are only talking about 3 or 4 percent of the population. He was shocked. Based on the attention and exposure he figured it must closer to 40%.

I’d like to think that nation-wide gay marriage will put to it rest but unless there’s some pushback LGBT issues and concerns will only grow in the public space. California already has gay history in public schools. We are in for quotas, gay sex ed, gay appreciation month, etc. Not embracing and endorsing all things LGBT is the worst thing you can do so all heteros are suspect. They might be closet homophobes. The only verifiably decent people are openly gay.

31 January 2014 @ 1:59 pm

How long before the very concept of sex-segregated bathrooms becomes a civil rights issue?

I say five years.

5. rr
    1 February 2014 @ 9:52 pm

The problem with all of this is when women start pressing charges or suing when transexuals/men dressed as women claiming to be transexuals sexually harass women in the ladies room. I see this as inevitable at some point. All in all, it’s going to be a field day for lawyers.

To be blunt, I think transexuals have mental problems. They need professional help, not for their behavior to be encouraged. Sex is a biological fact. Someone who “feels” they are a female when biologically they are a male simply isn’t in touch with objective reality and needs help. I would argue further that this is another example of liberals being “anti-science” as their whole view of transexuals is squarely against basic biology. But of course, the way our society is these days, nobody is going to call liberals for being “anti-science” on this one, nor will the right (and indeed the truly compassionate) thing of getting transexuals professional help be done. Greg is right, it’s just going to get worse from here.

3 February 2014 @ 9:21 am

What’s weird about this kind of thing (okay, lots of things are weird about it) is that the subjective unhappiness of the self-described transsexual rules the roost — it is validated, and used as the basis for policy decisions (i.e., Johnny who wants to be Jenny can now use the girls’ bathroom) but the subjective unhappiness of the girls in the girls’ bathroom is shouted down as a psychological thought crime. Even if one develops some theory that girls being uncomfortable with transsexuals in their bathroom is some kind of objective disorder, shouldn’t that disorder be accommodated?

3 February 2014 @ 10:18 am

“Accommodating the disenfranchised” is a sacred value. People who don’t want to do that are motivated by prejudice or hate. That’s why the feelings of the transsexual are more important than the feelings of everybody else in the bathroom.