A growing sense of dread

by Greg Krehbiel on 27 January 2013

I have a strong feeling that international tensions are going to boil over shortly — probably this year — and we’re going to be in a heck of a mess.

I don’t know if it will be Iraq or Syria or Mali or what, but when the United States steps back, bad guys step up.

It only took four years for Jimmy Carter to convince the world that the United States wasn’t on the job any more. We’re going to have eight years of Obama. That isn’t going to work out well.

-- 2013-01-27  »  Greg Krehbiel

28 January 2013 @ 9:37 am

what exactly is “the job?”

28 January 2013 @ 9:40 am

“The job” is providing stability.

The cold war provided one kind of stability because it reduced most conflicts to U.S. v. U.S.S.R.

Since the fall of the Soviet Union, the U.S. has to try to manage that stability on its own.

28 January 2013 @ 10:09 am

“the job” is to be a beacon of light in a dark world.

The United States has freed many countries from tyrants and tyranny, including former enemies such as Japan and Germany.

It would be wonderful if this could be accomplished with magical pixie dust, a lot of speeches, and apologies. But, sometimes the job requires force of arms.

28 January 2013 @ 11:35 am

ah yes, our mission of hegemony. certainly, that only beckons us benefit and the acquiescent admiration of others.

and certainly, this administration with its decimation of al queda, role in the violent riddance of muammar gaddafi, near belligerent use of drones in sovereign nations, in perpetuity … is all that ‘stepping back’ or prancing about with magical pixie dust and apologies?

if we keep stepping up, and throwing our soldiers and economic security into a wood chipper … with our self-proclaimed super-neat-beacon-job … why would anyone else bother to step up?

28 January 2013 @ 1:11 pm

RootCzar: I am certainly not saying that everything this country has ever done has been good and honest and above board. For example, I believe we can add “fast and furious” to your list of atrocities. I am not that much of a student of history, but I’ve learned enough to wonder if the Spanish-American war was a right and proper thing to do. And let’s not forget our treatment of Native Americans.

I am saying that our country should do good things. and, I agree Greg and our country has sometimes been and should continue to be a restraint on bad actors.

no, our foreign policy is not perfect. We seem to get lots more upset about human rights violations and genocide when they threaten our oil supply, for example. Nevertheless, despite errors, I believe our country on the whole has been a force for good in the world.

6. Derek
    28 January 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Root czar admires Neville Chamberlain dontcha know.

29 January 2013 @ 1:09 pm

Wow. Derek … really? A Nazi appeaser? Another personal attack on me, and no contribution yet again, to the conversation.

“Stay classy.”

29 January 2013 @ 1:44 pm

Root, I’m not quite sure that admiring Neville Chamberlain necessarily means “Nazi appeaser,” but perhaps Derek can clarify what he meant. We certainly don’t need personal attacks in any event.

29 January 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Chamberlain appeased the Nazis, but he did it out of a certain philosophy of international relations. Chamberlain was no more a Nazi-lover than you or I, but he had a weak foreign policy that led to appeasement. It’s not exactly unhinged or overtly offensive to make the case that your (or someone else’s) thinking might be parallel, though it might be unwarranted. and depending how it’s phrased, rude and unconstructive.

29 January 2013 @ 2:41 pm

i’m sure he’ll have an elegant contextual explanation. (LOL)

the chamberlain thing is a pretty popular glenn beck crowd dog whistle, and given derek’s propensity to forego any insightful or educative comments in this forum, in favor of deploying more tactless and inerudite comments about me and /or my alleged liberal kin …. well, let’s just see.