Watch out, Satan’s coming

by Greg Krehbiel on 22 February 2012

How much do you think Rick Santorum’s comments about Satan will hurt his candidacy?

Somewhere around 62 percent of Americans believe in the devil, according to this article. (It’s an old article. The numbers may not be exactly right any more, but it’s probably close.)

But I don’t think that’s the big issue. I think voters are looking for a candidate who actually believes in something and stands for principle. I can’t say if Santorum is that guy or not, but he’s coming across as that guy, and I think it helps him. I don’t think he should backtrack or make apologies.

On the other hand, we don’t want some delusional kook in the White House.

There are haters out there who will hate him no matter what. He’s not going to win those people. The question is, how does this play with middle America?

-- 2012-02-22  »  Greg Krehbiel

22 February 2012 @ 10:12 am

Liberals and atheists and libertarians and other people with different beliefs from Santorum believe there are evil forces at work in America, too. They tell us that all the time.

So Santorum has a different name for the cause of them. Identifying the source of evil with Satan isn’t craziness, it’s 2000 years of the most plain vanilla Christian theology, believed by the calmest and soberest of Christians.There is nothing to see here unless we’re now supposed to register any kind of supernaturalism at all in the kooky column.

22 February 2012 @ 10:13 am

Or is the standard line now that the only acceptable approach to good and evil in political discourse is functional Buddhism?

22 February 2012 @ 10:58 am

He’s not a ‘guy you’d like to have a beer with.’

I know, that’s no sensible criteria but would submit that it and its variations are pervasive, perhaps alarmingly so. As such … he’s toast.

I think in this election cycle, any kind of perceived ‘extremist’ (and I’d submit that many would put Santorum in that category as it might pertain to his religiosity and social issues posturing) just won’t fly. The partisan fracas of recent years in our government, and the frustrating gridlocks and bickerings … have exhausted many in the general populace, and a principled but moderate solution would likely seem more appealing, to most.

I totally have to confess … that when I read the reference to the 62% above, I immediately thought of Bill Maher and his (for me, hilarious) rantings about how stupid this country is. He spouted some stats back in 2009 that were pretty alarming if in any way accurate. I won’t regurgitate them here. They spawned some rather dreadful statistics to further substantiate his claim, I won’t present them here either because most of them, i cannot validate.

For me, Satan is a myth. I’m not fond of hearing myths in the government dialog, but I accept it. I don’t ‘hate’ Santorum … I don’t ‘hate’ anybody. Buuuut … he’s closer to ‘delusional kook’ than anything else, in my mind. :-D

He also seems so indignant and abrasive to me … kinda snotty. If others see him even remotely that way, I’d think that they would think … we could do better. I’m one who voted for President Obama. I’ve had VERY mixed feelings since. But, I’ll at least submit that especially given his surprisingly disrespectful co-workers (i.e. Sen Joe Wilson or Jan Brewer), he’s maintained … decorum.

24 February 2012 @ 6:56 pm

I don’t suppose you’ve see this cartoon??? http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/opinion/rob-rogers-cartoons/33093-satan

It just reinforces my opinion that Santorum is for sharia law of the RCC variety. ;)

24 February 2012 @ 9:12 pm

If cartoons reinforce your opinions, you might want to re-think your epistemology.

6. Greg Krehbiel GregK
    25 February 2012 @ 7:43 am

BTW, speaking of Sharia, did you see this?

The Sharia Court of Pennsylvania — the Transcript

25 February 2012 @ 9:49 am

That Pennsylvania thing is outrageous. As a Pennsylvanian, I’m a little perturbed by the characterization of “the sharia court of Pennsylvania” — this was one idiot small town district magistrate (i.e., J.P., guy who oversees preliminary trials and traffic tickets in one small district in a particular town) doing his own thing. It’s not like there’s remotely a movement in Pennsylvania to decide assault cases on whether someone had a right to threaten someone else up for a religious insult. But the case itself is terrible.

25 February 2012 @ 10:05 am

Yes, and I’m sure he’ll get his butt handed to him by somebody. (I assume somebody watches over this petty magistrates.)