Neutered and on a leash

by Greg Krehbiel on 20 February 2012

I got to Pep Boys just as they were opening the door. Several people had been standing outside waiting for them to open, and they took their places in the service line. I think I was 4th.

The guy in front of me got a call from his wife. She grilled him for several minutes on why he wasn’t first in line.

Didn’t you get there early? Why weren’t you waiting at the right door? Why didn’t you know which door they would open first? That was the plan we agreed to. That’s why you got there early, right? How long are you going to be? Why don’t they have enough people working there? (Like that was this guy’s fault.) You know you’re messing up my plans for this morning.

I actually could hear both sides of the conversation.

I wanted to take the phone from the guy and relieve his suffering.

Once she finally let him go, he looked like he’d been kicked in the groin.

Women (or at least some women) want to control men, and then they despise them for it.

-- 2012-02-20  »  Greg Krehbiel

20 February 2012 @ 9:57 am

LOL I know you too well. When I saw the title of the post on Facebook I knew it was going to be about a man and a woman.

OTOH, you just don’t know what was going on. Maybe the guy’s an unreliable slouch and she really couldn’t do something she really needed to do until he took care of whatever he was at Pep Boys to do, and she had a heck of time just getting him out of bed this morning. And maybe he had that defeated look because he was a hapless good-for-nothing who’s always getting yelled at because he deserves it.

Not saying it’s the most likely possibility, or that there aren’t a lot of insufferable women and neutered men, but the guy who gets ridden by a woman because his worthlessness drives her to frustration is NOT an unknown species. And more to the point, one side of a conversation is probably always less revealing than it looks.

20 February 2012 @ 10:23 am

Yes, there are good-for-nothing men out there, and maybe he was one of them. The thing is, the solution is the same in any event. Grow a pair and act like a man!

Also, I could hear both sides of the conversation.

20 February 2012 @ 3:06 pm

Complete tangent: I had to google “Pep Boys”, which I’d never heard of before. It sounded like you were visiting some “Hooray for Everything!” troupe for an early morning pick-me-up performance.

It seemed.. unlikely.. but I was thankful that the other fellow’s mood was likely to shortly improve, at least..

4. kdeb
    20 February 2012 @ 3:19 pm

Simple Answer:

The guy wanted to use the (working) car to go play golf and was going to leave her with the other (non-working) car.

She reamed him out for planning to leave her with three kids and no vehicle on “his holiday,” and now if he ever wants peace in his life again he had better bring home the part the car needs and fix the car if he intends to meet his buddies and go golfing.

Before he grows that “pair” he will need some grown-up brains to go with ut.

Just my guess.

20 February 2012 @ 3:34 pm

Hey. I was not at Pep Boys!

20 February 2012 @ 3:45 pm

“The thing is, the solution is the same in any event. Grow a pair and act like a man! ”

Absolutely. It’s just that in the different cases, the degree of blame for the woman’s attitude varies a bit.

“Also, I could hear both sides of the conversation.”

I guess what I meant was you didn’t know the whole context. But you’re still right.

21 February 2012 @ 8:28 pm

My usual response to that kind of crap is “If you want it done that way, it’s your turn next time.”